Discoloured teeth can be frustrating and unpleasant – let’s be honest – and although this self-isolation period may seem to be an ideal time for finally brightening up your smile, we suggest that you steer clear of potentially harmful DIY teeth whitening kits. There’s a good reason why…
DIY home-based teeth whitening kits pose several risks. Despite being marketed well, they are hiding some seriously damaging truths. Most home-based teeth whitening products are not produced by dental professionals who have knowledge in oral safety and long-term health. Some of the negative impacts you may notice as a result of whitening kits include:
- Break down of the essential enamel surface on your teeth. This can occur when the agents in your kit are abrasive and, over time, scrape away the enamel.
- Only providing a temporary solution to your discoloured teeth.
- Making your teeth even more discoloured once the agent wears off.
- Burning your gums or throat. This can occur with bleach-based whitening products that do not come with sufficient gum and swallow-proof protection.
- Increased tooth sensitivity, if the product reduces tooth and gum strength.
- Difficulty breathing, if the product results in an allergic reaction.
- Mouth infections, if the product is too potent.
Plus more. Every individual will experience a different reaction to teeth whitening. Even if it seems that using a teeth whitening kit has been successful in the short-term, it is impossible to know what damage it may cause in one, five, or twenty years’ time. All varieties of teeth whitening kits, including bleach, UV light and charcoal types can cause irreversible harm.
Realistically, you should always consult with your local dentist before using any teeth whitening kits. They understand your oral situation better than anyone else, so they will be able to offer genuine advice relating to your unique circumstances. Cheap at-home teeth whitening simply isn’t worth the risk.
So, what can you do to whiten your teeth instead?
We always recommend having cosmetic dental treatments completed by trusted dentists in a legitimate dental clinic. Admittedly, many cosmetic dental services, including professional teeth whitening, have now been restricted or temporarily paused due to the COVID-19 crisis. In the meantime, there are still safe actions that can be taken at home to improve your smile.
Alternative ways that we recommend maintaining a bright smile during the COVID-19 crisis (instead of dodgy teeth whitening kits) include:
- Using a fluoride-based toothpaste
- Consuming less alcohol, particularly red wine and darker beverages
- Drinking less coffee
- Taking this as an opportunity to attempt quitting smoking
- Using a mouthwash with 1% peroxide, in addition to your regular teeth cleaning routine
- Ensuring to brush your teeth twice per day
- Flossing everyday
As soon as the threat of COVID-19 is no longer impacting the community, professional dentists will be able to provide comprehensive cosmetic treatments again. At the Dental Haus, we offer effective and safe teeth whitening as one of our cosmetic dentistry services. Once our dentist in Palm Beach is open again for regular appointments and procedures, we would love to assess how we can enhance your smile.